Seasons

This was written five or six years ago, when I was living in Alaska and going through a period of immense suffering. Bipolar disorder was really kicking my ass, as per usual during the long winters so far north. Also I was in the midst of a breakup from a relationship I should never have gotten involved into in the first place, and felt a tremendous amount of guilt over. I was suicidal, remorseful, and longing for the heady days of summer, i.e. mania. Looking back, I'm mildly surprised I survived the several attempts to off myself. I was so low-energy, however, that even dying seemed hardly worth the effort.


Winter is a tree on a barren hillside
a wind that cuts between buildings to find
the unprotected places at your throat and wrists.
It is a quick slap to the nose; no embrace here
no warmth of a hand in yours.

February finds your bones.
All the fiery, effortless grace of summer
all that unbearable lightness
the giddy hollow in your belly
Seem now like a distant dream.
It must have been someone else
ticking along with a restless, hungry
try-anything-twice spirit
that had you defying gravity
convinced you were flying
when like Icarus, you were picking up speed
headed for a blind wall of ocean.

Come home, baby
is all you want to hear; come home
and you might have
but winter slaps the words away
so you cannot hear them
(even if someone says them to your face)
until it's too late.




Comments

Popular Posts