Confession

I killed a lot of fish today
Waist-deep in the river
Leaning into the current, reeling
Them in and netting them
From the glacial water. Then grasping
Their slick silver bodies in my hands, feeling
Each flash and flip, electric almost
In their will to live.
Watching them rise to the surface
At the end of my line
That sweet silver tail-dance that brings
The fish to me
Or me to the fish
It's hard to say, my heart
Swooping like an eagle to the catch.
But when finally the fish
Is in my hands and it's time
To make the kill
There is a pause.
A prayer.
Just a moment--thank you.
And, I'm sorry.
But not sorry enough to let you go.


KB ©7/2015




Comments

  1. Love and appreciate your talent KB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love and appreciate your talent KB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a pause.
    A prayer.
    Just a moment--thank you.

    The Alaska Native way -

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts